Kohnke's Own Tox Target
Mycotoxins are toxic substances produced by moulds on grass, weeds, grain, feeds and hays. They can create significant challenges to a horse’s health.
Horses consuming mycotoxins can exhibit a range of symptoms, commonly termed mycotoxicosis. These include unexplained random spooky behaviour, skin irritation, photosensitivity, head-shaking or flicking, staggers, to gut issues, poor growth, low fertility, immune problems and lack of stamina.
Moulds that invade certain grass species can produce mycotoxins which are particularly toxic to horses. Key types include black paspalum (ergot mycotoxins), ryegrass, clovers, tall fescue , weeds such as capeweed and other grasses that grow in hot, wet or damp climates.
Which Horses Benefit?
- Horses showing symptoms of mycotoxin-related problems (mycotoxicosis)
- Horses grazing in areas with climate variations that encourage mould growth, such as hot, humid, damp or wet seasons
- Horses exposed to grass species and pastures that are known or linked to mycotoxicosis
- Horses with known grass-affected allergies, such as ryegrass staggers, skin photosensitivity, persistent sunburn or greasy heel, gut problems or swollen limbs and lymph nodes
- Horses with liver problems associated with long-term mycotoxin ingestion
- All horses needing a specific and ‘ultra-high’ capacity mycotoxin binder for health and wellbeing
- Horses which may be exposed to mycotoxins in the long-term damp period after flooding
- Powerful blend of multiple mycotoxin binders designed to target many classes of both polar and non-polar mycotoxins
- Includes organic, mineral and inorganic binders for a comprehensive broad spectrum binding effect
- ‘Ultra-high level’ binding capacity, extensively tested for optimum activity in horses
- Liver detoxifying formula: includes amino acids, choline and other helpful nutrients
- Special fibre source which may help to increase dwell time of binders in the digestive system, allowing a longer period of mycotoxin capture
- Pelleted and highly palatable for easy feeding
Each scoopful provides 60 grams of Tox-Target.
It is recommended to split the daily dose of Tox-Target between morning and evening feeds (even a small feed) to help prolong the full daily activity of the supplement for grazing horses. For donkeys and ponies, use half the below supplementation rates, but the same guidelines to splitting the dose between morning and evening feeds.
High Risk Supplementation Rate
Provide 120 grams per day, split between morning and evening feeds for horses (400 – 600 kg body weight) with visible symptoms of mycotoxin-related problems, or when grazing grasses or consuming mycotoxin-infected feedstuffs, or in high seasonal mycotoxin load periods. This supplementation rate may be required long term for severely grass-affected horses in areas with known mycotoxin issues.
Low Risk or Maintenance Supplementation Rate
Provide 60 grams daily (preferably split morning and night) once noticeable mycotoxin-related problems are resolved (maintenance rate), or in lower-risk circumstances or seasons.
Will Tox-Target bind Feed Nutrients?
Tox Target has been designed for specificity to bind only mycotoxins, not medications or feed nutrients. Tox-Target was extensively tested as safe and effective for horses, even at high daily supplementation rates and long term usage. The mycotoxin binders in Tox-Target are carefully chosen and include specially refined mineral binders that increase the specificity of binding capacity, so that only mycotoxins are targeted. Tox-Target does not swab or negatively affect behaviour or performance.
Can I feed Tox-Target long term?
Mycotoxin binders are not absorbed by the horse, they simply pass through the digestive system, binding up any mycotoxins and then passing out through to the manure. Therefore, overdosing is not really possible, although we do recommend not combining competitor mycotoxin binders with Tox-Target because our supplement is already a highly concentrated formula of multiple binders. Kohnke’s Own FABBY includes some of the same mycotoxin binders, as well as many other helpful ingredients for the digestive system, and is compatible with Tox Target when mycotoxins have a role in digestive upset, scouring or poor condition.
Tox-Target can be fed long term at the higher daily rate during seasonal periods that mycotoxins are a major problem in the grass, stored hay or grain. Some horses may require supplementation with the higher level of Tox-Target long term if they are very sensitive to mycotoxins in their environment.